Monday, October 31, 2011

Modern Cafe

We had planned to meet my sister for breakfast on Sunday, and I wanted to try out a new place that none of us had been to. I have biked past the Modern Cafe a few times, and have meant to check it out sooner, so I was pretty excited to finally go there, as I have also heard/read good things about it.
NE mpls wall art

The interior has a cool, old-school feel to it, and it wasn't very busy, so we were seated right away, with coffee and menus. I have heard about the Famous Modern Hash, ( 2 eggs, pot roast, potatoes, peppers, herbs, with fresh jam and toast) so my mind was set on that. The girls ordered the scallion buscuits and gravy with two eggs, and the daily special, which was beef and chicken breakfast tacos with pico, black beans and salsa verde.
Famous Modern Hash

Breakfast Tacos

Scallion Biscuits and Gravy
The hash that I ordered was very good. The pot roast was like I have had growing up-super tender, pulls right apart and had great flavor, while the peppers and herbs added great flavor when mixed in with the hash and perfectly cooked eggs. The breakfast tacos were pretty good. Similar to others I have had, but the pico and salsa verde were very fresh. The biscuits and gravy, however, were unlike any that I have ever had. They were huge, which I sort of feel like is a requirement for this dish. Also, the flavor of the gravy was unlike any other gravy I have had previously. Very, very good. The biscuits themselves were also moist and flaky, and overall, it was a really good dish.
Basement wall art

The service was friendly, and they continued to check in to refill coffee and ensure that everything was ok. The food was better than most other cafe/diners I have been to, and we will definately go back when in NE Mpls.

No comments:

Post a Comment